Residents are reminded that residential garbage collection changes from every week to bi-weekly (every two weeks) on October 5 this year. As shown on the 2015 Waste Collection Calendar mailed to every household in December, the winter bi-weekly schedule for garbage is starting one month earlier this year.
Households tend to generate less garbage when the weather turns cold, and even less as Saskatoon residents use their blue carts to recycle more of their household items. For residents concerned about filling their black cart before their next collection date, the City offers the following tips:
Put waste in the right place to reduce the garbage that goes into your black cart:
- Recycle all paper and packaging in your blue cart that is collected every two weeks, year-round,
- Compost your leaves, non-elm branches and garden waste at a City Compost Depot free of charge,
- Take large items directly to the Saskatoon Landfill located off Valley Road, south of 11th Street (regular charges apply), and
- Learn how to properly dispose of oil, auto parts, electronics, paint/construction material & other hazardous waste at saskatoon.ca/recycling.
Follow these tips for a successful bi-weekly collection:
- Confirm your bi-weekly start date on your 2015 Waste Collection Calendar,
- Sign-up for a personal collection day reminder at saskatoon.ca/collectioncalendar,
- Completely close and properly place your cart by 7:00 a.m. on collection day, and
- Return your cart to your yard or garage to prevent theft, damage or fines.
If your garbage or recycling is normally collected on Christmas Day or New Year’s Day, they will be collected the following Saturday. Regular collection service is provided on all other statutory holidays, including Remembrance day.
For more City of Saskatoon Public Service Announcements, News Releases, Traffic Detours and Service Alerts, visit www.saskatoon.ca or connect with the City of Saskatoon on Twitter and Facebook.