The final phase of the 20th Street West Streetscape Improvement Project from Avenue G to Avenue H is set to begin on Monday, July 6, 2015, and anticipated to be complete by the end of August.
The following road restrictions will take place during construction, subject to weather conditions:
- July 6 to July 20: the intersection of Avenue H and 20th Street West will be closed.
- July 6 to August 3: 20th Street West westbound will be closed between Avenue G and Avenue H. Two-way traffic will be accommodated in the eastbound lanes.
- August 4 to August 31: 20th Street West eastbound will be closed between Avenue H and Avenue G. Two-way traffic will be accommodated in the westbound lanes.
Businesses located in the area will be open, as usual, during construction, and there will be minimal disruptions to people walking.
This project is part of the 20th Street Streetscape Improvement Master Plan approved by City Council in 1993. Developed in conjunction with the Riversdale Business Improvement District (BID) and community, the Master Plan called for streetscape improvements along 20th Street West from Avenue A to Avenue H with the intent of creating a vibrant and cohesive retail corridor that celebrates the unique character and diverse cultures of the area. Phases I and II were completed between 2013 and 2014.
The $3.75 million project, funded from the BID Streetscape Reserve Program, includes aesthetic improvements to the street and sidewalk areas along 20th Street West such as:
- new sidewalk and amenity strip installation;
- bus bulbs and corner bulbs to enhance pedestrian safety;
- new street furniture, trees, and street banners;
- three public art projects; and
- design elements that incorporate the Riversdale area’s rich history and heritage.
Slow down, pay attention and respect work zones. Watch for pedestrians and work crews, and for everyone’s safety, please obey all detours, signs and barriers.